More about Jachenau
Discovering Jachenau: Fun Facts and Travel Tips
Jachenau is a small village located in the beautiful Isar Valley, in the state of Bavaria, Germany. The village is surrounded by picturesque mountains, lush forests, and crystal-clear rivers, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. Jachenau is also known for its rich history and culture, with several old churches and traditional Bavarian houses dating back to the 18th century.
One of the most interesting facts about Jachenau is that it is the only village in Germany that still uses oxen to plow the fields. Visitors can witness this unique tradition during the annual Oxen Festival, which takes place in September. Another fun fact is that Jachenau is home to the oldest wooden chapel in Bavaria, the St. Anna Chapel, which was built in 1670.
If you're planning to visit Jachenau, it's important to note that the village is quite small, with only around 800 inhabitants. However, this doesn't mean that there's nothing to do here. In fact, Jachenau offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. From hiking and biking to skiing and snowboarding, there's something for everyone in this charming Bavarian village.
Reasons to Visit Jachenau: A Hidden Gem in Germany
Jachenau is often overlooked by tourists, which is a shame, as it is one of the most beautiful and authentic villages in Germany. If you're looking for a peaceful and quiet getaway, away from the crowds and the hustle and bustle of the city, Jachenau is the perfect destination for you.
One of the main reasons to visit Jachenau is its stunning natural beauty. The village is surrounded by the Bavarian Alps, which offer breathtaking views and endless opportunities for outdoor activities. Whether you're a seasoned hiker or a beginner, you'll find plenty of trails to explore in the area. The Isar River, which runs through the village, is also a popular spot for fishing, swimming, and kayaking.
Another reason to visit Jachenau is its rich history and culture. The village has a long and fascinating history, dating back to the Middle Ages. Visitors can explore several old churches and chapels, as well as traditional Bavarian houses and farms. The Jachenau Museum, located in the village center, offers a glimpse into the local history and culture.
How to Go to Jachenau: Getting There Made Easy
Jachenau is located about 60 kilometers south of Munich, the capital of Bavaria. The easiest way to get to Jachenau is by car, as there are no train or bus connections to the village. From Munich, take the A95 highway towards Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and then follow the signs to Jachenau.
If you don't have a car, you can also take a taxi or a private transfer from Munich to Jachenau. Another option is to rent a car at Munich Airport and drive to Jachenau yourself. This will give you the freedom and flexibility to explore the surrounding area at your own pace.
Fun Things to Do in Jachenau: Exploring the Outdoors
Jachenau is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts, with plenty of activities and attractions to keep you busy. Here are some of the best things to do in Jachenau:
- Hiking: Jachenau is surrounded by the Bavarian Alps, which offer some of the best hiking trails in Germany. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced hiker, you'll find plenty of routes to choose from. Some of the most popular trails include the Jachenau-Hinterriß Trail, the Herzogstand Trail, and the Benediktenwand Trail.
- Biking: If you prefer to explore the area on two wheels, there are also plenty of biking trails in Jachenau. The Isar Cycle Path is a popular route that runs through the village, offering scenic views of the river and the surrounding mountains.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: In the winter months, Jachenau is a popular destination for skiing and snowboarding. The local ski resort, Brauneck, offers several slopes for all levels, as well as cross-country skiing trails.
- Fishing and Swimming: The Isar River, which runs through Jachenau, is a popular spot for fishing and swimming. The crystal-clear waters are perfect for a refreshing dip on a hot summer day.
Where to Stay in Jachenau: Hotels and Accommodations
Jachenau is a small village, but it offers a variety of hotels and accommodations to suit all budgets and preferences. Here are some of the best places to stay in Jachenau:
- Gasthof Jachenau: This traditional Bavarian inn offers cozy rooms and delicious local cuisine. The inn is located in the heart of the village, within walking distance of the main attractions.
- Landhotel zum Staffelwirt: This charming hotel is located in a peaceful and quiet area, surrounded by forests and meadows. The hotel offers comfortable rooms and a restaurant serving regional specialties.
- Hotel im Sonnental: This modern hotel is located on the outskirts of Jachenau, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains. The hotel features spacious rooms, a sauna, and a sun terrace.
What to Eat in Jachenau: Local Cuisine and Delicacies
Jachenau is known for its delicious local cuisine, which features hearty Bavarian dishes made with fresh, local ingredients. Here are some of the must-try dishes in Jachenau:
- Schweinshaxe: This is a traditional Bavarian dish made with roasted pork knuckle, served with sauerkraut and potatoes.
- Kaiserschmarrn: This is a sweet dish made with shredded pancakes, raisins, and almonds, served with fruit compote.
- Obatzda: This is a creamy cheese spread made with camembert, butter, and spices, served with bread.
- Weißwurst: This is a classic Bavarian sausage made with veal and pork, served with sweet mustard and a pretzel.
The Best Time to Visit Jachenau: Seasons and Festivals
The best time to visit Jachenau depends on your preferences and interests. If you love outdoor activities, the summer months (June-August) are the best time to visit, as the weather is warm and sunny, and the hiking trails are open. If you prefer winter sports, the winter months (December-February) are the best time to visit, as the ski resort is open and the snow is plentiful.
Jachenau also hosts several festivals and events throughout the year, which are worth checking out. The Oxen Festival, which takes place in September, is a popular event that celebrates the local tradition of using oxen to plow the fields. The Jachenau Christmas Market, which takes place in December, is another popular event that features local crafts, food, and drinks.
Traveling Around Jachenau: Tips and Recommendations
Jachenau is a small village, and most of the attractions and activities are within walking distance. However, if you want to explore the surrounding area, it's recommended to rent a car or a bike. This will give you the freedom and flexibility to explore the Bavarian Alps and the nearby villages at your own pace.
If you're planning to visit Jachenau during the peak season (summer or winter), it's recommended to book your hotel or accommodation in advance, as they tend to fill up quickly. Agoda.com offers a wide range of hotels and accommodations in Jachenau, with great deals and discounts. With Agoda.com, you can find the perfect hotel for your budget and preferences, and enjoy a hassle-free booking experience.