More about Samburu County
Discover the Fascinating Fun Facts about Samburu, Kenya
Samburu is a hidden gem located in the northern part of Kenya. The region is home to a diverse and rich culture of nomadic tribes, including the Samburu people, who have lived in the area for centuries. Samburu is also home to a variety of wildlife, including the Big Five, as well as unique species such as the Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, and Somali ostrich.
The Samburu National Reserve is located in the heart of the region and covers an area of 165 square kilometers. It is a popular destination for tourists who want to experience the beauty of the African savannah and see the incredible wildlife that inhabits the area. The reserve is also home to the Ewaso Ng'iro River, which provides a vital source of water for the animals that live in the area.
Top Reasons to Visit Samburu on Your Next Adventure
Samburu is a must-visit destination for adventure seekers and nature lovers. Here are some of the top reasons to visit Samburu on your next adventure:
1. Wildlife: Samburu is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including the Big Five, as well as unique species such as the Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, and Somali ostrich.
2. Culture: The Samburu people have a rich and fascinating culture. Visitors can learn about their way of life, including their traditional dress, food, and customs.
3. Scenery: The landscape in Samburu is breathtaking. Visitors can enjoy panoramic views of the African savannah, the Ewaso Ng'iro River, and the stunning Mount Ololokwe.
4. Adventure: Samburu offers a range of adventure activities, including game drives, bird watching, hiking, and camel safaris.
How to Go to Samburu: Your Ultimate Travel Guide
Getting to Samburu is relatively easy. The region is served by several airports, including Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, which is the main gateway to Kenya. From Nairobi, visitors can take a domestic flight to Samburu Airport, which is located near the Samburu National Reserve.
Alternatively, visitors can take a road trip from Nairobi to Samburu. The journey takes approximately six hours and is best done in a 4x4 vehicle. The road trip is a great way to see the Kenyan countryside and experience the local culture.
Unleash the Fun: Exciting Things to Do in Samburu
Samburu offers a range of exciting things to do for visitors. Here are some of the top activities to try:
1. Game drives: Samburu is famous for its wildlife, and visitors can enjoy game drives to see the Big Five and other unique species such as the Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, and Somali ostrich.
2. Bird watching: Samburu is home to over 450 species of birds, making it a paradise for bird watchers.
3. Camel safaris: Visitors can take a camel safari to explore the Kenyan countryside and experience the traditional way of life of the Samburu people.
4. Hiking: Samburu offers a range of hiking trails, including the Mount Ololokwe Trail, which offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
Why Book Your Samburu Hotel with Agoda.com?
Agoda.com is the best website to book your Samburu hotel. Here are some reasons why:
1. Wide selection of hotels: Agoda.com offers a wide selection of hotels in Samburu, ranging from budget to luxury.
2. Easy booking process: Booking your hotel with Agoda.com is quick and easy. You can search for hotels, compare prices, and make a reservation in just a few clicks.
3. Best price guarantee: Agoda.com offers the best price guarantee, ensuring that you get the best deal on your Samburu hotel.
4. 24/7 customer support: Agoda.com provides 24/7 customer support, so you can get assistance whenever you need it.
The Best Time to Visit Samburu: A Seasonal Guide
The best time to visit Samburu is during the dry season, which runs from June to October. During this time, the weather is dry and sunny, and the wildlife is easier to spot because they congregate around the water sources. The dry season is also a great time for hiking and other outdoor activities.
The wet season, which runs from November to May, can be challenging for visitors because the roads can become muddy and difficult to navigate. However, the wet season is a great time for bird watching, as many migratory birds visit the region during this time.
Expert Tips for Travelers Visiting Samburu
Here are some expert tips for travelers visiting Samburu:
1. Pack appropriately: Samburu can be hot during the day and cold at night, so it's important to pack appropriate clothing for both conditions.
2. Bring a good camera: Samburu is a photographer's paradise, so make sure to bring a good camera to capture the stunning scenery and wildlife.
3. Respect the local culture: The Samburu people have a rich and fascinating culture, so make sure to respect their customs and traditions.
4. Hire a local guide: Hiring a local guide is a great way to learn about the local culture and get the most out of your visit to Samburu.
Where to Stay in Samburu: Your Ultimate Accommodation Guide
Samburu offers a range of accommodation options for visitors, ranging from budget to luxury. Here are some of the top hotels to consider:
1. Sarova Shaba Game Lodge: This luxury lodge is located on the banks of the Ewaso Ng'iro River and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
2. Lion's Cave Camp, Samburu: This budget camp offers comfortable accommodation in a stunning location, with views of Mount Ololokwe.
3. Samburu Sopa Lodge: This mid-range lodge offers comfortable accommodation and easy access to the Samburu National Reserve.
4. Elephant Bedroom Camp - Samburu: This luxury camp is located in the heart of the Samburu National Reserve and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
5. Samburu Elephant Lodge: This mid-range lodge is located on the banks of the Ewaso Ng'iro River and offers comfortable accommodation and easy access to the Samburu National Reserve.
Taste the Savory Delights: What to Eat in Samburu
Samburu offers a range of delicious local dishes for visitors to try. Here are some of the top dishes to try:
1. Nyama Choma: This is a Kenyan barbecue dish that features grilled meat, usually goat or beef.
2. Ugali: This is a staple food in Kenya made from maize flour and water. It is often served with meat or vegetables.
3. Sukuma Wiki: This is a popular vegetable dish made from kale or collard greens.
4. Chapati: This is a flatbread that is popular in Kenya and is often served with meat or vegetables.
Getting Around Samburu: A Comprehensive Guide
Getting around Samburu is relatively easy. Visitors can hire a car or take a taxi to explore the local area. Alternatively, visitors can take a guided tour or a camel safari to experience the local culture and see the stunning scenery. It's important to note that the roads in Samburu can be challenging, so it's best to hire a 4x4 vehicle if you plan to drive yourself.